Charities Solicitor (NQ)
We are offering an immediate opportunity for a lawyer (0-2 years PQE) to join our rapidly growing charities team. Building on our recognised position in the charity sector, we have over the last few years succeeded in expanding our general charity sector work. Around 35% of the firm's turnover is in the charity and education sectors, making it a core part of the firm's work.
The objective of the role is to work with colleagues to help clients succeed in realising their business or personal objectives, through the efficient delivery of appropriate legal advice and assistance.
Our clients include charities from a variety of sectors: from smaller charities working in local communities through to much larger organisations working nationally and internationally; education sector clients such as independent schools, academies, colleges and universities; public sector spin-outs; social care and religious organisations, and social enterprises. We are nationally recognised for the work we do with charities by the leading legal directories and Charity Finance ranks us as a leading adviser to the Top 350 Charities.
Learning and development
- Comply with CPD requirements and identify specific training needs
- Attend appropriate departmental training sessions
- Attend appropriate internal courses (for example management and IT skills)
- Provide informal & formal training as appropriate (e.g. mentoring & internal team presentations)
Teamwork and collaboration
- Play an active role within the current team
- Supervise where required and take responsibility for performance management for those whom you supervise
- Involve the secretaries and other support staff in an effective way
Work collaboratively across all offices
- Take responsibility for delegated work, ask for guidance in respect of matters which are unclear and report errors which need to be resolved
- Participate in Veale Wasbrough Vizard's knowledge networks and systems to share ideas, know-how, expertise, documents and precedents
Client at the centre of the firm
- Wherever the opportunity arises, promote the services of teams from across the Firm to the client for whom you are acting
- Provide accurate cost estimates for clients
- Update clients at regular intervals (at least 6 monthly)
- Bill clients accurately and at agreed times
- Comply with the Solicitors Accounts Rules
- Deal promptly with any working capital exercises
- Ensure any changes relating to the file are notified to the lawyer in charge of the file
- Demonstrate compliance with the Firm's quality standards and procedures
- Achieve agreed targets as set out in business plan and/or budget, including hours and billing
- Introduce new clients to the Firm
- Contribute to appropriate business development activities of the team and the Firm
- Identify and attend appropriate networking opportunities
- Demonstrate awareness through action of the Firm's core values
- Develop personal profile and recognition throughout the Firm
- Demonstrate consistent compliance with the Firm's quality policies and procedures
The Ideal Candidate
We are, first and foremost, looking for a lawyer who has a real interest in advising charity clients and an ability to do so in a commercial manner. Charity law is a highly specialised area, and we do not expect all applicants to have extensive experience of advising charities; we are more interested in finding someone who has the intellect, legal skills and enthusiasm to get involved in this sector. We welcome candidates who may have qualified into other areas and are now looking to work with charities.
Applicants will be selected for interview on the basis they have the following essential qualities:
- 0-2 years PQE
- Excellent academics
- An ability to grasp a broad range of legal concepts, translating them into practical legal advice.
- The ability to draft legal documents that are clear and concise.
- An aptitude for developing strong client relationships.
- A commitment to team work and collaboration with colleagues.
- The ability to operate effectively demonstrating Lexcel compliance, sound transactional and financial management.
- The ability to prioritise work and meet fee earning targets.
The successful candidate will have an interest in and flair for getting involved in marketing activities, including assistance with presentations for seminars, writing articles for sector journals, helping with the preparation of tender documents, attending networking events and supporting Partner-led business development initiatives.
We are a full service law firm ranked as a leader in both the Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 directories. Our firm-wide core values of teamwork and collaboration, putting the client at the centre of the firm and taking a commercial approach ensure a dedicated and expert service to all of our clients. Our high standards have been recognised by the Law Society through Lexcel and their Conveyancing Quality schemes.
We have been accredited by Investors in People as a firm who are passionate about developing our employees. We have a clear strategic plan in place with our core purpose and our focus is our clients, commerciality and delivering through effective teamwork.
With over 400 members of staff across four offices in London, Watford, Bristol and Birmingham, we are a medium size national law firm with a commitment to the training and development of our employees at all levels. This can be demonstrated by our Bronze Investors in People accreditation. On top of this, we have the reputation of being a friendly firm with approachable staff in all areas of the business. 96% of our clients say they would recommend us which, we believe, is a strong indicator of our culture.
We are looking for someone who wants to join our team to help our clients in the charity and wider voluntary sector to achieve their objectives by delivering appropriate legal advice and support. Our core charities team comprises four partners, two senior associates, three associates, one solicitor and one trainee solicitor and is spread across three of the firm's offices. Lawyers in all other parts of the firm provide advice to our charity clients.
The successful candidate will become an integral member of the charities team, accepting responsibility at an early stage. They will lead and manage their own, smaller, matters under appropriate supervision, and provide support for other team members on larger matters.
What your role will involve:
This is a role for a solicitor wishing to help us with the further development of our charities practice from our Bristol office.
The successful candidate will provide a wide range of advisory work on charity governance, regulatory and other matters. They would be involved in charity formations, mergers, collaborations and other transactions as well as advisory work on charity regulation.
Veale Wasbrough Vizards