Commercial Associate or Senior Associate
We are looking for a Commercial Associate or Senior Associate to join our growing team in our Watford office. The role is a mix of IP, commercial contracts and IT focussing mainly on non-contentious work.
Legal advice and action
- Provide concise letters and reports for clients, written in plain language
- Undertake negotiations
- Draft concise documents in plain language
- Demonstrate awareness through action of the firm's core values
- Develop personal profile and recognition throughout the firm
Contribute to the business development activities of the team and the firm
- Wherever the opportunity arises, promote the services of teams from across the firm to theclient for whom you are acting
- Introduce new clients to the firm
- Achieve agreed business development targets
- Identify and attend appropriate networking opportunities
- Play an active role within the current team
- Supervise where required and take responsibility for performance management for those whom you supervise
- Involve the secretaries and other support staff in an effective way
- Take responsibility for delegated work, ask for guidance in respect of matters which are unclear and report errors which need to be resolved
- Prepare and conduct Performance Development Reviews and where appropriate take responsibility for the development of staff under your supervision
- Conduct recruitment interviews (where necessary) for secretarial/assistant support
- Participate in the firm's knowledge networks and systems to share ideas, know-how, expertise, documents and precedents
Financial management (Under the supervision of a Partner):
- Provide appropriate pricing options for clients
- Discuss each price and scope with another lawyer (who must be a pricing champion where the price exceeds £2,500)
- Where a client chooses to proceed on the basis of hourly rates, ask the client how often it wishes to be updated on fees
- Inform clients immediately if the scope of a matter changes, and explain the impact on price.
- Bill clients accurately and at agreed times
- Achieve agreed targets, including hours and billing
- Comply with the Solicitors’ Accounts Rules
- Deal promptly with any working capital exercises
- Demonstrate compliance with the firm's quality standards and procedures
Learning and development
- Attend the Management Course Stage 1 within the first three years of qualification
- Comply with CPD requirements and identify specific training needs
- View appropriate training webinars.
- Attend appropriate internal courses (for example management and IT skills)
- Provide informal and formal training as appropriate (e.g. induction, mentoring and internal team presentations)
The Ideal Candidate
Required Knowledge and Experience
Admitted solicitor with current Practising Certificate and a developing expertise in a specialist area of law. Must demonstrate an ability to work to the SRA Skills Standards and to provide accurate, focussed advice to clients. Experience in the pharmaceutical sector is desired but not essential.
The ability to:
- conduct effective case and transaction management
- develop strong client relationships
- communicate effectively and confidently both verbally and in writing with colleagues and clients
- excellent drafting skills
- interview and advise clients, helping them decide the best course of action
- research the relevant legal issues applicable to a case
- conduct negotiations where appropriate
VWV is a full service law firm ranked as a leader in both the Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 directories. Our firm-wide core values of teamwork and collaboration, putting the client at the centre of the firm and taking a commercial approach ensure a dedicated and expert service to all of our clients. Our high standards have been recognised by the Law Society through Lexcel and their Conveyancing Quality schemes.
We have been accredited by Investors in People as a firm who are passionate about developing our employees. We have a clear strategic plan in place with our core purpose and our focus is our clients, commerciality and delivering through effective teamwork.
With over 400 members of staff across four offices in London, Watford, Bristol and Birmingham, we are a medium size national law firm with a commitment to the training and development of our employees at all levels. This can be demonstrated by our Bronze Investors in People accreditation. On top of this, we have the reputation of being a friendly firm with approachable staff in all areas of the business. 96% of our clients say they would recommend us which, we believe, is a strong indicator of our culture.
Veale Wasbrough Vizards