We are looking for a Paralegal to join our Corporate team in our Watford office. This is a support role working with Partners and Lawyers across the Corporate team. The successful candidate will have a high degree of self-management and initiative and have a responsive and proactive approach to work.
Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- File opening in accordance with VWV procedures to include data input, completion of internal forms and procedures, preparation of anti-money laundering documentation, setting up the paper file and file labels, preparing initial letters for fee earner
- File closing in accordance with VWV procedures to include data input, checking ledger balances, returning client documents, completion of internal forms
- Preparation of completion statements and bills in accordance with VWV procedures, to include collating disbursement receipts, liaising with accounts and preparing all documentation to be sent to the client in accordance with defined procedures
- Filing incoming correspondence, outgoing copies, invoices, reports and paper files in/out of filing system. Assisting with file checking and organizing in preparation for quality audits
- Retrieving and checking in files and deeds from the firm's storage facility and returning deeds to storage in accordance with the detailed firm procedures
- Printing, scanning, binding engrossments, preparing transaction bibles, copying documents
- Attending clients both in person and on the telephone and providing support in a professional and friendly manner in keeping with the firm's standards for client care
- Updating SLX during and at the end of transactions and as a follow up to marketing initiatives
- Assisting fee earners under supervision in a range of tasks including:
- Incorporating companies
- Completing Companies House forms and stock transfer forms
- Drafting ancillary documentation such as board minutes and shareholder resolutions
- Carrying out Companies House searches and filing documents at Companies House
- Preparing and updating company books
- Preparing security documentation for banking transactions
- Assisting with due diligence and disclosure exercises
- Collating and managing condition precedent documents
- Drafting and proof-reading documents
- Carrying out completion searches
- Dealing with post completion formalities
- Assisting with marketing initiatives such as drafting blogs and tweets and attending networking events
- Taking every reasonable opportunity to further legal and skills training
- Undertaking any other suitable work for the firm as and when required
The Ideal Candidate
You will have between 3-6 months of previous legal administration experience in a law firm or in an in-house legal team, preferably LPC qualified. You must be organised, possess good client care skills and be a team player. You will have confidence in the use of office IT and other applications, document management and have good typing skills.
You will have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, internally and externally with clients and with third parties.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of property transactions and procedures
- Read and assimilate complex written information
- Complete legal research tasks
- Proof read, with a focus on accuracy and attention to detail
VWV is a full service law firm ranked as a leader in both the Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 directories. Our firm-wide core values of teamwork and collaboration, putting the client at the centre of the firm and taking a commercial approach ensure a dedicated and expert service to all of our clients. Our high standards have been recognised by the Law Society through Lexcel and their Conveyancing Quality schemes.
We have been accredited by Investors in People as a firm who are passionate about developing our employees. We have a clear strategic plan in place with our core purpose and our focus is our clients, commerciality and delivering through effective teamwork.
With over 430 members of staff across four offices in London, Watford, Bristol and Birmingham, we are a medium size national law firm with a commitment to the training and development of our employees at all levels. We have the reputation of being a friendly firm with approachable staff in all areas of the business. 96% of our clients say they would recommend us which, we believe, is a strong indicator of our culture.
We understand the importance of a healthy work life balance. That's why we place emphasis on healthy living, offering all of our employees private healthcare, and a range of other benefits including up to 28 days holidays plus bank holidays, bonus schemes and generous pension contributions.
You will find a wide range of activities at VWV, from lunchtime yoga classes, to theatre trips, running clubs and sports matches.
If you need to adjust your work pattern to ensure that you are striking the right balance between home and work life, we will do everything that we can to enable you to fulfil this.
Please note that we review applications on a rolling basis and therefore we may close the vacancy before the closing date.
Veale Wasbrough Vizards