We are looking for a Corporate Paralegal to join our team in Bristol in February. This is a central support role working with partners and lawyers across the corporate team undertaking a number of key routine and non-routine tasks. This role will expect a high degree of self-management and initiative with the successful candidate having a responsive and proactive approach to work.
- Assisting with the preparation of cost proposals for client matters.
- File opening in accordance with VWV procedures to include data input, completion of internal forms and procedures, preparation of anti-money laundering documentation, setting up the paper file and file labels, preparing initial letters for fee earner
- File closing in accordance with VWV procedures to include data input, checking ledger balances, returning client documents, completion of internal forms
- Preparation of completion statements and bills in accordance with VWV procedures, to include collating disbursement receipts, liaising with accounts and preparing all documentation to be sent to the client in accordance with defined procedures
- Filing incoming correspondence, outgoing copies, invoices, reports and paper files in/out of filing system. Assisting with file checking and organizing in preparation for quality audits
- Retrieving and checking in files and deeds from the firm's storage facility and returning deeds to storage in accordance with the detailed firm procedures
- Printing, scanning, binding engrossments, preparing transaction bibles, copying documents
- Attending clients both in person and on the telephone and providing support in a professional and friendly manner in keeping with the firm's standards for client care
- Updating SLX during and at the end of transactions and as a follow up to marketing initiatives
- Answering phones, assisting with travel arrangements etc. whilst team secretary is away from the office.
Assisting fee earners under supervision in a range of tasks including:
- Incorporating companies
- Completing Companies House forms and stock transfer forms
- Drafting ancillary documentation such as board minutes and shareholder resolutions
- Carrying out Companies House searches and filing documents at Companies House
- Preparing and updating company books
- Preparing security documentation for banking transactions
- Assisting with due diligence and disclosure exercises
- Collating and managing condition precedent documents
- Drafting and proof-reading documents
- Carrying out completion searches
- Dealing with post completion formalities and preparation of 'bibles' of documents.
- Assisting with marketing initiatives such as drafting blogs and tweets and attending networking events
- Assisting with sector business development initiatives to include technology and start-ups; partnerships; ecclesiastical; education and healthcare.
- Taking every reasonable opportunity to further legal and skills training
- Undertaking any other suitable work for the firm as and when required
The Ideal Candidate
Candidates will require at least 3-6 months of previous legal administration experience within a law firm or in an in-house legal team, and will preferably be LPC qualified. The successful candidate must be organised, possess good client care skills and be a team player.
The successful candidate will have familiarity with and confidence in the use of office IT and other applications; document management. The ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, internally and externally with clients and with third parties is also key.
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft applications including Word and Excel
- Strong oral and written communication skills (essential)
- Highly literate and numerate with the ability to read and assimilate complex written information
- Good administration skills
- Strong legal research skills
- Focussed on accuracy and attention to detail with the ability to proof-read
- Well organized and able to work to deadlines and guidelines
We are an award-winning law firm, acting for both public and private sector clients nationally and ranked as a leader in both Chambers & Partners and Legal 500.
Our core values of teamwork and collaboration, putting the client at the centre of the firm and taking a commercial approach ensures a dedicated and expert service to all of our clients.
With over 400 members of staff across four offices in London, Watford, Bristol and Birmingham, we are committed to the training and development of our employees at all levels. This can be demonstrated by our Bronze Investors in People accreditation. On top of this, we have the reputation of being a friendly firm with approachable staff in all areas of the business.
We have national recognition for our sector-focused approach, which means that we direct our skill, energy and expertise in understanding our clients in the sectors that they operate in. This includes education, charities, energy & utilities, family businesses, healthcare, pharmaceuticals & life sciences, private wealth, the public sector, recruitment, startup & early stage companies and technology.
Veale Wasbrough Vizards