Immigration and Employment Paralegal
We are looking for an Immigration and Employment Paralegal to join our Birmingham office. You will take responsibility for admin tasks, data entry, inbound and outbound telephone calls, to free up fee earners in the Birmingham office allowing them to concentrate on business creation and fee income. In addition you will be fee earning for the Immigration and Employment teams, to include assisting with contentious and non-contentious employment matters and immigration applications involving employers, education providers and individuals.
Legal and administrative tasks
- Preparing bundles for Employment Tribunal hearings
- Reviewing and updating employment precedents (contracts, handbooks, policies)
- Preparing immigration applications and advice
- Legal research on new issues
- Preparing templates and instructions for corporate clients to assist them in meeting their sponsorship/immigration obligations
- Inbound and outbound telephone calls to clients
- Emails and letters to clients and other parties
- Minuting meetings
- File opening and administration
- Conflict checking and setting up files
- Supporting file management
- Lexcel compliance preparation such as scanning and carrying out money laundering checks
- Billing and other financial management activities
- File closure and archiving
- Providing assistance with marketing material including drafting articles, presentations and general business development
- Preparing materials for seminars and client training
- Becoming familiar with operating procedures and systems required of fee earners at VWV
Other tasks in line with the firm's core values
- Always demonstrate awareness through action of the Firm's core values
- Taking every reasonable opportunity to further legal and skills training
- Contributing where appropriate, as part of a department to marketing, cross-selling, quality and operational issues and to introduce clients to the firm wherever possible
- Undertaking any other suitable work for the firm as and when required
- Being a team-player in terms of the workgroup, department and where appropriate to the Firm as a whole
The Ideal Candidate
Experience of working within a similar legal environment; an interest in and, preferably, an understanding of employment and/or immigration law.
- Excellent IT skills
- Good organisational skills are essential
- Conduct effective case and transaction management
- Communicate concisely both verbally and in writing with colleagues and clients
- Strong team player
- Commercial awareness
The individual will be able to:
- Demonstrate flexibility and commitment to the team and wider office
- Learn new skills quickly and adapt to changing surroundings
- Develop strong relationships within the Firm
- Plan and organise own workload
The role will be based in our Birmingham office, but the successful candidate will also need to be prepared to travel to our other offices, as well as Courts, Tribunals and clients' premises
We are an award-winning law firm, acting for both public and private sector clients nationally and ranked as a leader in both Chambers & Partners and Legal 500.
Our core values of teamwork and collaboration, putting the client at the centre of the firm and taking a commercial approach ensures a dedicated and expert service to all of our clients.
With over 400 members of staff across four offices in London, Watford, Bristol and Birmingham, we are committed to the training and development of our employees at all levels. This can be demonstrated by our Bronze Investors in People accreditation. On top of this, we have the reputation of being a friendly firm with approachable staff in all areas of the business.
We have national recognition for our sector-focused approach, which means that we direct our skill, energy and expertise in understanding our clients in the sectors that they operate in. This includes education, charities, energy & utilities, family businesses, healthcare, pharmaceuticals & life sciences, private wealth, the public sector, recruitment, startup & early stage companies and technology.
About the team
VWV's Employment Team deals with the full range of employment issues, principally acting for employers. The team operates in a range of sectors, namely; education (in particular universities, independent schools and academies), healthcare, local and central government, financial services, recruitment, professional services, utilities, energy and telecoms, SMEs and commercial businesses. They advise on all aspects on both contentious and non-contentious employment matters. Sitting within the Employment Team, VWV's Immigration specialists advise on all aspects of immigration law, particularly those which affect business, such as conducting Right to Work checks, sponsorship of skilled foreign workers, and - more recently - employment of EEA nationals pre- and post-Brexit. The Immigration Team also provide specialist advise to education providers on sponsorship of foreign students under Tier 4 of the UK's points-based immigration system.
Veale Wasbrough Vizards