Private Client Partner
We are looking for a Partner to join us in our Bristol office to lead our Estates Tax and Trusts team. This is a fantastic opportunity for somebody to join us at an exciting time of growth.
You will be joining a highly successful team, recognised as an industry leader in London and the South West, being ranked in both Chambers UK and Legal 500. One of our core values is 'Client at the centre of the firm', which means that we put our clients at the centre of everything we do. To help us achieve this, we need to be passionate about excellence.
Our Bristol office is ideally located on the Harbourside.
If this opportunity sounds of interest, please contact Emma to arrange a confidential discussion (firstname.lastname@example.org / 0117 314 5419).
Your main responsibilities would be as follows:
Legal advice and action
- Take and record clear instructions
- Give expert advice tailored to each individual client needs
- Provide concise letters and reports for clients, written in plain language
- Provide practical solutions
- Demonstrate awareness through action of the Firm's core values
- Develop personal profile and recognition throughout the Firm
- Contribute to appropriate business development activities of the team and the Firm
- Wherever the opportunity arises, promote the services of teams from across the Firm to the client for whom they are acting
- Introduce new clients to the Firm
- Achieve agreed business development targets
- Identify and attend appropriate networking opportunities
Teamwork and Collaboration
- Play an active role within the team and support other team members during busy times
- Supervise and take responsibility for performance management of junior members of the team
- Involve the secretaries and other support staff in an effective way
- Take responsibility for delegated work, ask for guidance in respect of matters which are unclear and report errors which need to be resolved
- Prepare and conduct Performance Development reviews and where appropriate take responsibility for the development of staff under your supervision
- Conduct recruitment interviews where required
- Achieve financial and hours targets as set by Head of Department ("HOD") personally and for wider team
- Demonstrate an understanding/awareness of working capital and regular billing matters
- Bring matters to the attention of clients at the appropriate time and update fee estimates accordingly
- Actively lead on the scoping of work
- Comply with the SRA Accounts Rules
- Deal promptly with any working capital exercises
- Adopt knowledge sharing behaviours at team, department and Firm level
- Contribute to knowledge sharing initiatives to improve efficiency and profitability
- Support the team's Knowledge Champion in building and cascading knowledge sharing resources, protocols and practices
- Contribute to the development of the firm's know-how and precedents
- Demonstrate best use of precedents and know how to save time and costs
- Demonstrate consistent compliance with the Firm's quality policies and procedures as set out on the intranet
Learning and development
- Comply with CPD requirements and identify specific training needs
- Attend appropriate departmental training sessions
- Attend appropriate internal courses (e.g. management and IT skills)
- Provide informal and formal training as appropriate (e.g. induction, mentoring and internal team presentations) as skills develop
The Ideal Candidate
We would like to hear from you if you have a following, and strong business development skills. You will bring a wealth of experience to the role, having advised a wide range of clients during your career, and will have previously managed a team.
You will be an experienced lawyer with proven leadership skills. You will be commercially aware and ideally will have a STEP diploma. You will be an excellent communicator and will regularly contribute to local publications and speak at seminars.
You will have the ability to:
- draft legal documents, advice notes and give legal advice that is clear and concise
- interview and advise clients, helping them decide on the best course of action
- supervise junior members of the overall team
- develop strong client relationships
- communicate concisely both verbally and in writing with colleagues and clients
- represent the firm at BD events
- give presentations on relevant topics
- conduct effective matter management
- confidently use office IT applications; good typing skills
VWV is a full service law firm ranked as a leader in both the Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 directories. Our firm-wide core values of teamwork and collaboration, putting the client at the centre of the firm and taking a commercial approach ensure a dedicated and expert service to all of our clients. Our high standards have been recognised by the Law Society through Lexcel and their Conveyancing Quality schemes. Click the link to see the video for what our people have to say about us.
We have been accredited by Investors in People as a firm who are passionate about developing our employees. We have a clear strategic plan in place with our core purpose and our focus is our clients, commerciality and delivering through effective teamwork.
By joining us as a Partner, you will experience a year long integration programme. We strongly believe that this dedicated focus on development in your first year will fundamentally make the difference to both the firm and to your personal development. The programme sees you aligned to a senior, experienced mentor within the business who guides you through the initial few months with VWV, introducing you to all of the key stakeholders
With over 430 members of staff across four offices in London, Watford, Bristol and Birmingham, we are a medium size national law firm with a commitment to the training and development of our employees at all levels. We have the reputation of being a friendly firm with approachable staff in all areas of the business. 96% of our clients say they would recommend us which, we believe, is a strong indicator of our culture.
We’re passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity, we're striving to create an environment where everyone, regardless of background, can reach their full potential.
Veale Wasbrough Vizards