Private Client Solicitor
We are looking for a Private Client Solicitor to join the Estates Tax Planning and Trusts team in our Watford office.
The successful candidate will work with colleagues to help clients succeed in realising their business or personal objectives, through the efficient delivery of appropriate legal advice and assistance.
The role covers the traditional areas of wills, trusts, estate planning and administration as well as a focus on a tax element to support the firm's family business clients.
Your main responsibilities would be as follows:
- Wills & Estates Planning: Advice on IHT; drafting wills; advising on and completing living wills
- Inheritance Tax Planning: Advice on mitigation of IHT; lifetime gifts; trusts; deeds of variations
- Advising on Lasting Powers of Attorney: Advising & drafting LPAs; advising on registration of LPAs
- Advising on Trusts & Trust Administration: Advising on the establishment of trusts; advising on legal changes to taxation of trusts; dealing with daily trust administration
- Administering Estates
Legal advice and action
- Taking and recording clear instructions
- Investigating evidence
- Researching matters of fact and law
- Providing concise analysis of research applied to facts
- Providing concise letters and reports for clients, written in plain language
- Undertaking negotiation and/or advocacy when appropriate
- Drafting concise documents in plain language
- Demonstrating awareness through action of the Firm's core values
- Developing personal profile and recognition throughout the Firm
- Contributing to appropriate business development activities of the team and the Firm
- Wherever the opportunity arises, promote the services of teams from across the Firm to the client for whom you are acting
- Introducing new clients to the Firm
- Achieving agreed business development targets (if any)
- Identifying and attending appropriate networking opportunities
- Playing an active role within the current team
- Supervising where required and taking responsibility for performance management for those whom you supervise
- Involving the secretaries and other support staff in an effective way
- Taking responsibility for delegated work, asking for guidance in respect of matters which are unclear and reporting errors which need to be resolved
- Participating in the firm's knowledge networks and systems to share ideas, know-how, expertise, documents and precedents
Under the supervision of a Partner:
- Providing accurate cost estimates for clients
- Updating clients at regular intervals (at least 6 monthly)
- Billing clients accurately and at agreed times
- Achieving agreed targets, including hours and billing
- Complying with the Solicitors’ Accounts Rules
- Dealing promptly with any working capital exercises
- Ensuring that any changes relating to the file are notified to the lawyer in charge of the file, (who should take the appropriate action as set out on the Accounts Intranet site)
- Achieving targets as set out in business plan and/or budget
- Demonstrating compliance with the Firm's quality standards and procedures
Learning and development
- Attending the Management Course Stage 1 within the first three years of qualification
- Complying with CPD requirements and identify specific training needs
- Attending appropriate departmental training sessions
- Attending appropriate internal courses (for example management and IT skills)
- Providing informal and formal training as appropriate (e.g. induction, mentoring and internal team presentations)
The Ideal Candidate
You will be an admitted solicitor with current Practising Certificate and a developing expertise in a specialist area of law. You must demonstrate an ability to work to the SRA Skills Standards and to provide accurate, focussed advice to clients.
You will have the ability to:
- Advocate and present orally when required
- Conduct effective case and transaction management
- Develop strong client relationships
- Communicate concisely both verbally and in writing with colleagues and clients
- Draft documents that are clear and concise
- Interview and advise clients, helping them decide the best course of action
- Research the relevant legal issues applicable to a case
- Conduct negotiations where appropriate
- Use confidently office IT applications; good typing skills
VWV is a full service law firm ranked as a leader in both the Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 directories. Our firm-wide core values of teamwork and collaboration, putting the client at the centre of the firm and taking a commercial approach ensure a dedicated and expert service to all of our clients. Our high standards have been recognised by the Law Society through Lexcel and their Conveyancing Quality schemes.
We have been accredited by Investors in People as a firm who are passionate about developing our employees. We have a clear strategic plan in place with our core purpose and our focus is our clients, commerciality and delivering through effective teamwork.
With over 430 members of staff across four offices in London, Watford, Bristol and Birmingham, we are a medium size national law firm with a commitment to the training and development of our employees at all levels. We have the reputation of being a friendly firm with approachable staff in all areas of the business. 96% of our clients say they would recommend us which, we believe, is a strong indicator of our culture.
We understand the importance of a healthy work life balance. That's why we place emphasis on healthy living, offering all of our employees private healthcare, and a range of other benefits including up to 28 days holidays plus bank holidays, bonus schemes and generous pension contributions.
You will find a wide range of activities at VWV, from lunchtime yoga classes, to theatre trips, running clubs and sports matches.
If you need to adjust your work pattern to ensure that you are striking the right balance between home and work life, we will do everything that we can to enable you to fulfil this.
Please note that we review applications on a rolling basis and therefore we may close the vacancy before the closing date.
Veale Wasbrough Vizards